Maths 300 VS Sheet Activity – Building Views

Hi Guys,

The past few weeks my class and I have been working on a project called building views. It is basically where you have a heap of blocks on a – as we used – four by four grid and record the different amounts of blocks we see from the front, back, left and right. We have to make sure that we fill all the spaces and each block doesn’t overlap and change the view of the ones in front and behind it.


The first step task was to record in our books the front view and side views of a selection of grids with the blocks in them. Once we had completed that, we had to take it a little bit further and try to make the right front and side views using the least amount of blocks. We had to find out the lowest number, highest number, and the different ways of making those varied combinations. After that, we went onto the Math’s 300 software and started to have a go at the problems in a completely different way to before.

Math’s 300 was much more complex and difficult to complete as we needed to fill in all of the spaces, not just enough to ensure all of the sides had the right amount of blocks on it and non were overlapping. There were two buttons X-ray and Compare. They made it al lot easier to complete the problems because the compare button, when pressed, showed the collumns and combination you had in the answer box so that you could see which numbers were wrong and if when you changed then they are right without pressing check. The X-ray button helped to see which numbers were in the middle without guessing because when pressed, you can hover over the columns and it shows you what is behind the blocks in front. It was extremely difficult for me to get the hang of the app’s version of Building views because of the way the X-ray button, compare button and the different views worked. The hardest part was figuring out where the blocks in the middle went without the X-ray button. It was mainly trial and error to get the right answer but in the end, you would always find it.

My favorite task was The first one because I liked building the combinations and creating the little buildings with the blocks. It was fun to record the little graphs in our books and compare then to others  later on.

The strategies I used to see what was in the middle were just to use common sense because, if you had a 2, a 3 and another 2 surrounding the center, then you would have to have something below 2 to be able to fit there without disturbing the views from the other sides. For the sides, I did what was explained to me which was putting the numbers for the front view, in a row at the bottom of the grid, the right view numbers on the right, and so on. Once I got the hang of it, it was actually quite easy apart from the middle which was always tricky.


It was strange, because at the start, I couldn’t really find the math’s in the whole task. Then, I thought hey, there actually is heaps of math’s and other stuff in it. There is special awareness and making it easier for people to do tasks like this if the keep practicing, there was problem solving, because you had to find out how to work the Math’s 300 and how to get all of the numbers, there was also just a whole load of brain power and concentration used to persist and think hard at how to solve all the problems and record them.


Overall, it was such a fun task with heaps of learning and I was challenged to a good length. I learned how to persist and it improved my spacial awareness.

IMG_2368 IMG_2369




Math’s Shape Animation 2D to 3D

Hello Bloggers,


In Math’s Project this term so far, we’ve looked at 2D and 3D shapes and their 2D nets. Another thing we have been looking at is the Vertices, faces, apexes and edges. The shapes we have focused on are Triangular prisms, square based pyramids, triangle based pyramids, pentagonal prisms and a few others. After we had researched these shapes and learned a lot about the different 2D nets we chose groups of 3 or 4 and were asked to choose one 3D shape. We were asked to create a short film with a great storyline, good audio and it had to incorporate the facts about the shape you chose into it somehow.  I was in a group with Abbi and Samantha. Our film was about saving pandas because we used a pentagonal prism for the cage that the pandas were transported in.


The hardest most difficult part was the wires connecting to the pentagonal prism so we could lift it in. It was so hard to use them because they kept breaking off and swinging around, it was overall challenging to control them. it was also difficult to get the voice overs to match the footage and fit together in the film.


I learned that it is really hard to make a stop motion right the first time because everything needs to be perfect and you can’t have a hand in one single picture without ruining it.


If I could have the chance to do this again I would of put the chrome key on because in our editing stage we didn’t have enough time and I would of added the music we chose into the finished version.