Retrieving audio

Production is hectic, fun and tiring. I hope it’s worth it!

During this time, I have learnt so much about recording, it’s really fun. I like recording because well, not only I can record myself, but I can help others. I have met so many people wanting to share their talent, but have no idea how. Many of them in my grade, in the form of music. It’s a common passion, and that is why, I have chosen music for my Passion Project. I had no idea so many people related to music, especially the people to our grade. Such wonderful musicians I have as friends! Comment your favourite song below! I want to see what genre people our age like šŸ™‚

Here is the equipment we have used to record:

• Macbook Pro
  • Rode Microphone
  • Garageband
  • Handheld microphone & stand

Having a sleepover with Emmy was awesome! We had so much fun! Our album consists of 5 originals and 1 cover, 3 originals written by Emmy, the other 2 written by me. The cover is Riptide by Vance Joy. Vance Joy… more like Emmy Joy. *drum clash* We took so many takes but we are happy with the results. We did have problems, it wasn’t only rainbows and butterflies, it’s compromise.Ā 

So, we had these struggles while recording, and the solutions:

• Not hearing vocals properly –Ā Re-recording over the top of the base track, thereforeĀ strengthening the vocals. The reason for not hearing properly in the first place is the instruments being too loud. It is quite difficult to record like a pro and have about 6 different andĀ distinguishedĀ tracks, therefore not needingĀ this, but it is difficult on the program I’m using, Garageband. Overall Garageband is pretty easy & amateur.
  • Hearing background noise (wood chopping, TV, siblings) –Ā We either waited or we closed windows. We couldn’t move Emmy’s piano so.. Yeah. We’re so adaptable.
  • Vocals –Ā Emmy was a little sick during our sleepover, so her vocals were a little bit forced. We ended up using a handheld microphone and a stand to record it so that we weren’t straining her beautiful voice. Even so, Emmy’s voice was still amazing. She can sing, even when sick!
  • Laptop with lyrics going onto “sleep” while recording –Ā Quite minor but was annoying. I just had to stand near and help without making any noise, which… didn’t work most of the time but we got there! Thanks for putting up with me Emmy! šŸ˜›

9 thoughts on “Retrieving audio

1. Well, yeah, it’s pretty tough… No! Having the sleepover was awesome Joy? Thank you, I think your voice is amazing as well! Our project is developing well! Great post, I really love your elaborations on our many problems… It was still fun though! Tomorrow we can finish off the lyric books and album covers. Also need to record Riptide, we are busy, busy, busy! Well done!

1. Hey Emmy! I agree! The sleepover was awesome! We may be busy with Riptide but it’s going to be finished then we can breathe easy. Heh, it’s so much work but fun, right? šŸ˜€

2. Will you post me some pop corn and banana bread too please? Virtual will do…

Seriously though, well done Joy and Emmy, super job. To write one song yourselves let alone 5 and compile them like you have is incredible let alone work so incredibly well together. I have been so impressed at how professional and hard working you have been (pop corn, overs and banana bread aside, not to mention donuts (thanks Joy!)) I can’t believe how many hours you have put into this project, I don’t know many 12 year olds who could pull this CD off, you are so clever and inspiring, so well done! Would love to have a copy if you have a spare (I would even buy one!) Amazing effort girls, you should be proud of yourselves:)

1. Thank you Kerrie, you’ve been a great help letting us co-operate the way we did for our project! *sends through popcorn and banana bread* You still have donuts left, right? šŸ™‚
      Thanks again!

1. Haha! No doughnuts left? We will have to have another “over” and get more doughnuts, popcorn and banana bread!
        Can’t wait to listen to the final product, you have both worked so well and I’m sure it will pay off!
        Well done?????????

1. Yay! I am so happy we can finally rest. I loved working with you, but this isn’t the last musical endeavour. Never ever! ??

3. Sounds like you had a lot of struggles in the recording process Joy. You had to do a lot of problem solving to overcome them all! Well done. šŸ™‚

4. Wow, wow, wow girls! I have just listened to your CD start to finish for the first time and I am so impressed. Awesome effort, Im going to listen to it again and again, love it! Well done!!