Production is hectic, fun and tiring. I hope it’s worth it!
During this time, I have learnt so much about recording, it’s really fun. I like recording because well, not only I can record myself, but I can help others. I have met so many people wanting to share their talent, but have no idea how. Many of them in my grade, in the form of music. It’s a common passion, and that is why, I have chosen music for my Passion Project. I had no idea so many people related to music, especially the people to our grade. Such wonderful musicians I have as friends! Comment your favourite song below! I want to see what genre people our age like 🙂
Here is the equipment we have used to record:
- Macbook Pro
- Rode Microphone
- Handheld microphone & stand
Having a sleepover with Emmy was awesome! We had so much fun! Our album consists of 5 originals and 1 cover, 3 originals written by Emmy, the other 2 written by me. The cover is Riptide by Vance Joy. Vance Joy… more like Emmy Joy. *drum clash* We took so many takes but we are happy with the results. We did have problems, it wasn’t only rainbows and butterflies, it’s compromise.
So, we had these struggles while recording, and the solutions:
- Not hearing vocals properly – Re-recording over the top of the base track, therefore strengthening the vocals. The reason for not hearing properly in the first place is the instruments being too loud. It is quite difficult to record like a pro and have about 6 different and distinguished tracks, therefore not needing this, but it is difficult on the program I’m using, Garageband. Overall Garageband is pretty easy & amateur.
- Hearing background noise (wood chopping, TV, siblings) – We either waited or we closed windows. We couldn’t move Emmy’s piano so.. Yeah. We’re so adaptable.
- Vocals – Emmy was a little sick during our sleepover, so her vocals were a little bit forced. We ended up using a handheld microphone and a stand to record it so that we weren’t straining her beautiful voice. Even so, Emmy’s voice was still amazing. She can sing, even when sick!
- Laptop with lyrics going onto “sleep” while recording – Quite minor but was annoying. I just had to stand near and help without making any noise, which… didn’t work most of the time but we got there! Thanks for putting up with me Emmy! 😛