Planning. Planning. More planning. Sigh.

Planning for a project is hard, but rewarding. I guess in a way, planning is the an essential thing that can really keep a hectic life together. Other than emotional support and faith, of course. I mean, you can’t build a skyscraper without a good plan. Without a good plan the building would fall. A plan is like a map. When following a plan, you can always see how much you have progressed towards your project goal and how far you are from your destination. Knowing where you are is pretty good for making decisions on where to go or what to do next. Like getting to the treasure. Our treasure is our CD, in many ways.

Emmy and I have been working so hard to achieve the best for our first EP, sure we don’t have studio equipment or a record label (yet) it’s still going to be the best of our abilities at this time. We would have spent a long while doing this, we want it to be perfect, but we are only human. I know, in time we will both get better at it.

Steps to creating our CD:

1. Writing or perfecting song lyrics, chord progressions and rhythms
  2. Recording the base vocals and instruments in Garageband. Make sure audio not distorted.
  3. Editing those base tracks, then if too quiet with vocals, going back and heightening the vocals by recording more over the top. (This only happens if the vocals are almost indistinguishable. Wow. Such a big word. Didn’t even know I knew how to spell that, or even guess)
  4. Edit sound-waves, play around with vocals and other things. Change pitch, if necessary.
  5. Get feedback. Add it on. 
  6. Render MP3 and burn to CDs.
  7. Create CD covers and booklets.
  8. Relax and enjoy! With ice-cream, of course. 

Here are the things we use to record and things being recorded:

• Macbook Pro
  • Garageband (Mac)
  • RODE microphone
  • Vocals
  • Guitar (acoustic and electric)
  • Piano
  • Drums

I’m so excited to present our project to everybody but yet again really nervous. I guess I’ll go now and shake it off. Get it? I have a blank space, so I’ll talk about the potential problems.

Challenges:

• Getting time to record. We are both really busy, so we are working stuff out.
  • The audio gets lost. Please no repeats of last time. Please.

Bye!

2 thoughts on “Planning. Planning. More planning. Sigh.

1. Hi Joy,
    OOh, I’m so excited!! Can’t wait to see your finished product, though you might want to get a move on… Anyway, good luck!
    Thanks, Abbi

2. What a great planning post! A late one but a good one. 🙂 I love how many different things you had to record – so diverse and exciting! I cannot wait to see your final product.