Developing a Narrative

Narratives usually consist of three parts orientation, complication and resolution. I’ve never really thought about it much honestly but it’s true. These three parts are in every narrative I have ever written and read.

The orientation basically means the start/introduction. You get to know main characters. Character development happens later usually but you get the main details about characters like names, gender, traits and ties to the main protagonists/antagonists. It also gives you main settings and the situations of the protagonist, antagonist and background characters.

The complication is the problem/conflict/climax of the story. For example, Tarzan and Jane were building a treehouse and they ran out of wood, yet again there was a storm on the way. That’s the problem, they were building the treehouse and they had a problem. It usually is in the start/middle, middle or middle/end from what I’ve seen. It is the thing that makes a story interesting.

The resolution is the ending and the solving of the complication. It is usually placed at the ending of a narrative. It is the ending of a narrative, which usually the characters are changed by the experience of the complication.

The book I am reading is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (third time reading!) and I will be talking about the orientation, complication and the resolution of this book.

The orientation basically introduces the characters, circumstances, setting and connections of characters.

The complication is the conflict and without it the story would suck. A story without a problem makes it boring. It also brings in an array of new characters and further developing some current ones.

The resolution is the finish of the story. It leaves the characters changed from the experience and the story is further continued in the second and third books.

Wonky – turned or twisted toward one side. “One slide was wonky.”

Uncanny – surpassing the ordinary or normal. “The doll was uncanny. Scared, I walked away.”

Rambunctious – noisy and lacking in restraint or discipline. “Jane is rambunctious.”

4 thoughts on “Developing a Narrative

1. Great job Joy! Don’t forget a picture! Also, maybe add a bit of an outro, and add a bit more detail, but I like your explanation of what the orientation, complication and the resolution are.

2. Good job Joy! I think you explained the definition of orientation, complication and resolution really well.?