Author Intent

Wonder – R.J.Palacio

The message of this book is to enjoy life and live it to the fullest. If you have not read this book there are major spoilers in the post. Skip the bold italics part if you don’t want spoilers.

The main character, August, was born with a facial abnormality. He gets bullied and put-down for his looks, and his favourite day is not his birthday, it’s Halloween, where he can hide his face. His “best-friend” was bullying him behind his back and was actually assigned to playing with him. His two real best friends moved away from him when he was young to different states in the USA. His old, rescued, beloved dog, Daisy, dies. He thinks his sister is embarrassed of him. He’s had quite a few surgeries.

Pretty hard life, huh?

So. August is amazing. Having so many hardships and still being open to people. R.J.Palacio is a great author. It’s really great how she made the character so in depth and so touching.

He was born with “small anomalies” which basically means when he was being created his face was deformed. He gets bullied for something he was born with, which I think is so terrible. He hasn’t given up. He studies and stays strong. Even without many people in his life he still is a great person.

Here is a prime examples of August’s maturity and understanding of life (he’s supposed to be our age.): “The only reason why I’m not ordinary is because nobody sees me that way.” And “You can’t blend in when you were born to stand out.”

My favourite quote of this book is about his sister when she was born:

“Fate smiled and destiny laughed as she came into my cradle.”

Word Study:

1. Yearn: To want something badly. “Eva yearned for friendships.”
  2. Xenophobia: Fear of strangers or foreigners. “August has Xenophobia. Leave him be!”
  3. Vermillion: Vivid red/orange colour: “Eva’s bag was vermillion.”
  4. Quixotic: Not sensible in practical matters: “James was quixotic”

6 thoughts on “Author Intent

1. Hi Joy, Wonderful blog post! They’re so detailed and fun to read. But I have noticed there aren’t many images in each post. So that would be my only constructive!!