Ice-Creams & Clothing

Lately 5B have been doing problems to help ourselves think about all the different strategies to help us with our learning.

Firstly we got given a question where we had to find out all the numbers that you could do with 3 different numbers of your choice that was a 4-digit number. Some people had 3-digits. We all used the same strategy… listing.

Later we got given a ice-cream question. The task was to list all the possible ice-cream choices with 3 cone sizes and 3 flavours. I used a ordered list.

The ordered lists were quite hard to read and very time consuming.

******INSERT PIC HERE******

Mrs. Watson soon took us down to the floor and showed us a diagram; a tree diagram. Soon we all were all gladly doing this strategy to get our answers. It was not only quicker but also more fun. The tree diagram allowed us to get the answer faster than guessing or just writing all you can think about. Below is my final tree diagram for ice-cream.

CLOTHING:

With this we all did a tree diagram but we used different things.

Our task was to make all the different combinations of 3 shoes, 4 tops, 2 hats and 3 shorts.

I decided to start with a hat and times it by 2 to get my final answer:

Over all we all learnt something new with Mrs. Watson!

One thought on “Ice-Creams & Clothing

1. A clear explanation of your thinking, Joy. I wonder what other situations this strategy might be useful in?
    Remember to insert your pictures.