My Learning In Robotics

My Learning In Robotics

In robotics today I learnt how to program a robot. We used a program called lego mindstorms. To make the programs you drag and drop bricks then connect them together and then download the program to your robot. Today I learnt about the movement of the robot such as the turning brick and moving blocks.program On the first brick I made the speed 100 so it moves quickly and made it roll for ten seconds just to experiment how fast and far it will roll. For the second block I made the degrees of the turn 100 and rotations of the wheels on 3 so the robot spins 360 degrees three times. So then when you put them together the robot will roll forward and spin around three times. Next session I plan to test this program and use sensors in my next program.

30 July

Since last robotics session I have completed a new program including a sensor. For this program I got some help for the bricks I didn’t understand like the loop bricks and some others. This program makes the robot roll forward until it sensors white and then turns 180 degrees and continues on. To make this program work you need to add in the orange brick at the start. Inside of that brick you change the option to colour sensor. The next brick is the 180 degree turn so if it senses white it will turn around. The last brick makes it roll forward, I didn’t know how to make it roll forever so I asked someone and found out that that there is an option that does this. Due to problems with the program or robot I still couldn’t test this program hopefully next session I can test and improve this program.

10 Sep

Today we made a program that follows a maze. This program was originally for a sumo robot but with some modifications and tweaks it became a maze program. The modifications we made were switching the top green brick that was originally a moving and steering brick to a move tank brick and we built a maze instead of a sumo arena. The difference between these bricks are that the move tank can make both wheels move at the same time so the robot can spin around on the spot, the moving and steering brick only uses one wheel this causes the robot to move more. The orange brick around the outside is a loop the little figure eight sign means it will go forever you can change that symbol to count or use any of the sensors. The orange brick on the inside of the loop is a splitter This brick can make decisions, the decision this brick is making is if it can sense black or not. To do this the robot  senses reflected light intensity, reflected light intensity is how much the light reflects of certain materials or colours, light doesn’t reflect of black as well as it does on white and the sensor can find this.robotics If the robot senses white it turns 90 degrees to the right. Next session I plan to tweak the program to make the robot faster and more exact.

17 Sep

After last session I had an idea to add to our robot. The idea is to put in a wait  brick and set it to colour sensor then add in this brick it is a display brick it will display what you type in the top left corner so now our robot could have a start line and when it senses the colour of the line it would say whatever was typed in the top right corner. You could also have a finish line.ROBOT17 Sep

In the sessions inbetween my posts me and my group had been working on the sumo program for a long time, we have tried switching around the blocks and changing them but we didn’t find the solution I will show what bricks we got working and what didn’t.

Capture1This brick is called a splitter it has a true and false side you can set it on all the sensors, this brick is set on colour sensor and reflected light intensity. The space with this symbol < above it can also be changed, the symbols it can be changed to mean less than, more than, less than or equal to and more than or equal to. In our program we were able to get this brick working. In the space on the brick I talked about earlier we put less than or equal to and in the space next to it we put the light intensity of black which was 4. After that in the true section we put a moving and steering brick and set it to a 180 degree turn and in the false section put a forever loop inside the loop we put a move tank brick. Finally we put a loop around all the other bricks. Now all these bricks put together will make the robot go forward until it senses black then it will turn the opposite direction and continue on.

wef

This is an example of one of the bricks that didn’t work, this brick is an wait until brick. We used this brick by changing the space on it to colour sensor and set the colour sensor to black then we connected a moving and steering brick after that we put all the bricks in a loop brick. We thought the robot would go forward until it sensed black but it didn’t work, it didn’t work because the robot didn’t have a move brick so it couldn’t  move. Next session I plan to add the feature I talked about in the previous level.

8 Oct

Today was the last session for robotics throughout robotics I have learnt a lot like reflected light intensity and if you have one brick wrong it can effect the whole program. I think my problem solving skills have improved and our program turned out quite successful. At the beginning our program was going to be a sumo program, this program needs two sections the line sensing section and the fighting section. The first section we decided to focus on was the line sensing program, this was a lot harder than we thought. One of the first bricks we tried was a wait until brick we swapped it to the sensor and set the ssensor to colour, then we changed the colour to black. After that brick we put a move tank brick. We thought the outcome of this would be the robot would drive forward and turn when it senses black. There were two reasons this script didn’t work, one because there was no move brick before the wait brick and two the wait brick is not the solution two what we needed to do. After many tries we got the line sensing section of the program working by using a sensing brick and setting it on reflected light intensity. Then we realised we could turn it into a maze robot because we already had a working line sensor. So our final program turned out to be a maze robot. Here is the final script. The orange brick in the middle is a switch this makes decisions the decision it is making now is if the RFL reflected light intensity is higher or lower than a certain point I put the number five because that’s our light intensity for black. After making the decision the robot has two choices, if it’s not touching black it drives forward and if it is it turns. I have had lots of fun in robotics and hope there is more things like it. Next time I would go straight to making a maze program so I would have more time to work on a different type of program.

e

One thought on “My Learning In Robotics