Maker Day

Today we had a Maker Day it went all day. The activities I did were bottle rockets and solar boats. First I had bottle rockets, the first step I had to do was build the rocket, to do this I taped a tennis ball to the back of a bottle to add weight to the rocket so it flew smootherIMG_0295

Then I cut four fins and stuck them on, there job is to keep the bottle straight. It’s important to put your fins towards the bottom of the bottle. The lower the fins are on the bottle the straighter it will glide. It is also important to space your fins evenly so the bottle doesn’t rear to the side.

When it was time to launch our rockets we went out to the oval and one at a time we placed our rockets on launcher, we had to try and get our rocket in a bin on the other side of the oval . The launcher had a compass and a petractor  attached to it so you could set where your rocket would go. When is was my turn I set the angle to 60, the compass on 80 and the pressure on 60, my rocket flew straight but there was not enough pressure so the rocket fell short.

The next activity was solar boats the first step for this was to build a boat, we came up with a design and got the parts we needed.IMG_2444

We decided to get two thin pieces of wood and two milk cartons, the wood was a platform for the solar panel and the milk cartons made the boat float, we used wood to make a platform for the solar panel so the propeller was low enough to reach the water. Then we went to the pool our goal was to get the boat across the pool. When our boat started moving the boat curved, this happened because the propeller stuck out of the water too much, we fixed this by sticking a piece of wood on the back of the boat adding more weight pushing the propeller deeper into the water.

Suggestions

My suggestions for Maker Day are : plastic tubs to make fins for the rockets because plastic fins is more rigid and will stay straight in the air and extra materials to build the solar boats like fiber glass and specially cut wood so we can make different types of boats..