Icecream and Clothes

Over the past few maths sessions we have worked on the same problem set out in different ways, this maths was . The first problem was the number problem. We all chose three numbers and then tried to find all the possible combinations. Everyone had the same strategy, an organised list or a random list. it wasn’t very efficient and I don’t  think anyone actually found the answer.WIN_20150513_145902

The second problem was the icecream problem. There were three different flavours and three different size cones and we had to find all the combinations. It was the same problem but it made us think about it differently. Most of us came up with a different strategy for example, the tree diagram, I used an array, it worked much better than the organized list and was much more efficient because if you did it for one cone size you could just times it by three.WIN_20150515_090058

The last problem was the holiday clothes problem. There were lots of different clothes and we had to find out all the outfit combinations. For this problem my strategy was the tree diagram, it was definitely the most efficient strategy. But It took me two tries to figure out the answer because the first time I made the mistake of not drawing all the types of clothes on the diagram.WIN_20150515_090544

One thought on “Icecream and Clothes

1. Could you post an image of your work samples to help illustrate your thinking? Also, did you draw the whole tree diagram for the last problem or did you notice a quicker way of thinking about the possibilities?