September 2018 archive

Light Up Toys

In sewing I have been concentrating very had on trying to complete my light up fluffy toy. unfortunately I didn’t finish my project on Tuesday, which was our deadline for them because after I had finished sewing the positive and the negative lines onto the teddy and tied the not, but when I switched the switch on it didn’t work. It was working very faintly but it wasn’t powerful enough to see through the cloth. I showed it to Mrs Watson and she said that my circuit wasn’t tight enough. I was pondering on how to make it tighter when it was time for my viola lesson which was quite unfortunate. Tomorrow is a very big day because we have our expedition, house spelling and it is the last day of the term. even though I’m happy I’m also a weensy bit sad. I’ll very busy because I have to set up for the expedition tomorrow. My partner is Stephanie.

Making a light up fluffy toy is extremely challenging because you have to make sure that when your sewing the battery pack and the lights on that you don’t make the positive and negative line touch, you have to make sure that all of your 3 pieces of fabric are the same size and various other things. You need 3 pieces of fabric because 2 of them need to be attached by the bottom and the other one has to cover your circuit so that the fluff doesn’t get into it. I think that there is a 49% chance that it will work and a 51% chance that it won’t because there’s more of a chance that you will mess it up. It’s also very hard to sew because you have to make sure that there is enough conductive thread for you to finish that line, and you can prick yourself. I pricked myself 3 times and it hurt. A lot. If your negative line and your positive line do touch then your circuit won’t work.

I have already decided what I won’t to make for my next term project, I want to make a skirt. Of course it might change but who knows? I have decided that I will only take 1-2 sessions of next terms project time to finish my toy of. Because then I will still have plenty of time to do my next project. Even though making a light up toy is hard, it’s worth it.

23.10.2018 –  25.10.2018

Unfortunately I don’t think that I will finish my light up teddy bear project and make it light up because its already week three of term four and I need to get on with my new project. I might just fill it with stuffing and sew it up without the lights and start my new project. The reason why my LED’s don’t work is because my circuit isn’t strong enough. My lights work but very faintly, not enough to see through the fabric. In order to make a light up toy you need to use three pieces of fabric. Two for the front and back and one for the inside which separates the circuit from the stuffing. If the stuffing did get into the circuit then the circuit would get clogged up and wouldn’t work. So that’s why my light won’t show up behind two pieces of fabric plus the fluff. For my new project I was thinking of making a light up pillow or a skirt. Originally I wasn’t planning to make a light up pillow. It was actually a teacher at another school who gave me the idea. (It happened when the year five teachers were having a conference with lots of teachers from other schools and they came over to see what we were doing.) She said that making a light up pillow would look cool against a Christmas tree because Christmas is coming up. I was making  a lot of mini pillows for my prodo-types for the big one. I’ve been practising folding them over and flipping them inside out before you sew them. If you don’t flip them inside out before you sew them then all the sewing will be on the outside, and that wouldn’t look very nice. I made that mistake on the first mini pillow that I ever made and it didn’t look very nice. My goal is to get the pillow done roughly around week seven or eight because then I might be able to do another quick little project.

 

This is what my pillow and teddy looked like.

I just got some great news! Mrs Watson said that she would help all the people who’s light up toy didn’t work. So now I’m very confident that I will get my light up toy to work. I was thinking of making a little pouch for my teddy if I have time. I could use one of my mini pillows that were meant to be one of the prodo-types. It could be a mini bed for it.

28.10.2018

On Friday Mrs Watson gave all the people who’s light up toys didn’t work a chance to make a new one. They were shaped like a blob. Mrs Watson said that after we’ve made all of our blobs we could have a family of them. First of all we had to chose a piece of fabric. (Mine was purple.) We then outlined our templates onto the fabric. Because we had run out of super glue to stick our LED’s and our buttons on, the first thing we did was hold the battery pack in place and with a piece of normal thread we went over one of the holes that we didn’t use to hold the battery pack in place. Then it would be easier to sew if it didn’t move around as much. After we had done that we each got a long piece of conductive thread and made our first round from the positive side on the battery to the positive on our first LED. Most of us started the next round to the next LED but we only got half way through. We will finish the rest on Tuesday’s design lessons.

2.11.2018

Today I continued with my blob. I managed to get my positive line working. When i first started my positive line i forgot to put a knot when I got to the button. And I kept on going which made my switch not work. There were three stages for the positive line. You first have to got from the battery to the switch and then tie a knot. Then from the other side of the switch you have to go past two lights and onto the button and tie a knot. Then from the other side of the switch go to the last LED. After I tested it with my alligator clip I was delighted to see it working. I think it worked because this time I used tiny stitches and I went around each light and switch super tightly, so my circuit is stronger.

I am so times 100 excited because my blob actually work. It was lucky that we had a triple design lesson today because another school from Glenwavely came over and performed music for us. That took 1 hour of our design time away but we were fine. I finished by blob in our first period of design. I got my negative all up and running.

23.11.2018

I feel really happy today because it feels like all of my hard work has paid of. Today I got my light up toy to work. I was really happy because now I have 4 hours to do another little project before the exhibition. I filled my blob up with extra stuffing so now it looks really fluffy. But before you fill up something with stuffing you have to put in another layer of felt or fabric because the stuffing could get into your circuit and your circuit wouldn’t work. I think I’ll have a go at making another stuffed toy. Maybe a water droplet. Around the outside of the toy I did the blanket stitch. It’s a very simple but good looking stitch so I was pleased when Mrs Watson taught me how to do it. It looks likes a chain because all the pieces of the thick thread are bind together.

29.11.2018

I’ve decided to make another light up toy. This time it’s going to be shaped like a water droplet with blue felt. I’m going to use the same template that I used for the blob because their practically the same thing just shaped differently. I feel very confident that I will succeed because this one worked. I’ve already started the first couple of steps. I’ve cut the shapes out and have done 1/3 of the positive line. It might be a little bit difficult because the shape of a water drop is very slim at the top and connective thread might touch each other and that means it wouldn’t work because it would create a short circuit. I’m going to use blue for everything. Blue felt and blue sewing thread. The only thing that won’t be blue are the lights, their going to be white. I think that white will suite the blue felt very nicely. And the eyes and the mouth won’t be blue of course. It’s a bit of a risk because we only have about a couple of hours left until the exhibition. But I might take it home and finish it off if it needs a bit more time to get done.