Reading Rant

13th November 2016

For my first reading rant I am going to write about my last book I read and it is called NED KELLY’S SECRET and the author is Sophie Masson.

Image result for Ned kelly's secret

In the story Ned is the second main author and the main other is a boy called Hugo and he was traveling in Victoria. He was with his Dad and they are from England and Hugo’s Dad is writing a book about the gold rush. When they first got to Australia they got ambushed by Harry Powers and later down the track Hugo helped Ned’s sister get out of trouble in a shop for touching something and that’s how Ned and Hugo met. On one of the days they were there Hugo’s dad went somewhere to learn about the gold rush and Hugo went for a ride and stopped to do something. Two of Ned’s uncle’s were going to do something with his horse but Hugo saw them and stood up to them and they started getting angry and then Ned saw them and settled his uncle’s down. After that Ned’s house was not that far away so Ned took him there and introduced Hugo to his family. Later on Hugo heard that Ned had gone to court and goal for ambushing a group of Chinese. A little while later Hugo went to see Ned in goal, he kept on bringing him food and Hugo eventually got the truth out of him. Ned did ambush the Chinese people and was Harry Powers off sider and at the start Ned was in the bush holding Harry’s horse whilst he ambushed the Hugo’s group. Whilst Ned was in goal Harry Power got caught and was hung for all of his charges for being a robber.

The book was about Ned’s life but it was more fiction as it was a bit made up. The majority of it was real.

I really like the book but it could have been a bit better if it was a bit more realistic. What I also liked was that it flowed well and didn’t jump steps so it was easy to follow. I also learnt a bit of history about Ned and how he lived.

My two favourite people in the book were Ned and Hugo because they were the main characters. I didn’t like Ned’s uncles because they were not honest and in the book it seemed like they were a bit dodgy.

I would recommend this book to people who like Australian history and adventure.

9/10