Today in project maths we started a new unit/game. It is called Win at the fair. The original game board looks like this…
The game has different vales of money that you can win. You roll 2 dies and you either go up, left or right. The aim of the game is to obviously win as much money as you can.
Our first job was just to play the original game. We did this for at least half of the session. But we did not just keep playing for no reason we recorded all of the results from every game as a class. As a class we ended up playing 83 games. We then made a little tally. To play the game it costed one dollar so we had already made $83 but then this happened.
We ended up losing lots of money, we did not earn any money we lost money. We lost $117.00 witch is way way to much. We then had a group chat about every thing we could change to inshore we would make money not lose money. We worked out that the original game board was losing money but we wanted to pull in money.
In one day we want 1,000 games to be played. We want to give out $700 and make at least $300. We then brainstormed a list of everything that we could change to make sure we did not lose money. Below is the list.
- Less difference between the prizes
- Lower the jackpot.
- Switch some of the prize locations.
- Expand the size of the board.
- Change the playing price.
- Remove some prize tiles / no prizes for some spaces?
- Special moves like ‘snake eyes moves two spaces’ or a tile that makes you go backwards.
- Change the rules of the dice
- Dramatic money change!
Today we started to make our own new and improved game board. My first game board looks like this.
As you can see I changed…
- Money prizes
- I changed the direction of the numbers when you roll them. For example if 4 was going left I changed it to straight up.
- I lowed the jackpot
- I switched some of the prize locations
- I removed some of the prize tiles, so that you don’t get any prize money
I then tested my 1st changed game board and these were the results…
As you can see in my results I made $546.50 exactly, and I played 1,000 games. Well I didn’t the computer did it for me I then wanted to test it again with exactly the same game board. Below the 2nd results are…
In the 2nd lot of results I made $561.40. The second time I made more money witch is a good thing. I then decided to test it one more time and these were the results…
In the last test I did I made $550.4. So that means that my second test I made the most money. I then decided to make another game board, it is below.
As you can see I changed…
- The money values so that you always got some money
I will now show the results.
As you can see in the results I made $424.3. Sadly I did not take a picture of my second test for that game board. I did not earn more money with that game board but I think more people would want to play that game because you can not get no prize. Below is my final game board.
In this game board I kept the arrows the same but I changed the 10c and the 30c so that you would still win money but I would win more. Here are the first lot of results
As my results show I made $581.9. So far this is the most amount of money that I have made. I also think that this game board looks inserting and people would want to play it. Below are my last results.
As you can see above I made $546.4. This is a good amount but not very consistent compared to the other results.
The second last game is the game that I being the game owner earned the most money. I think I should go with the last game board. Overall I liked this activity it was challenging but also fun.