Math’s: Problem Solving

Hey guys,

Today we had our first lesson of maths problem solving. We were revised on our compulsory aspects so we know what to do and what you have to add. For e.g., you have to put in your thinking out, don’t erase you’re working out add an explanation and so on.

Today we worked on, or started section B, section B is the next section after section A. Section B is all about strategy’s and working out. Today we were given two questions, the first two for section B. We also had to make a title cover for section B.

Year six got two fairly easy questions. I wrote both questions in my book neatly and started to work on my first question. This is the question

‘A rectangles perimeter is 21 the parallel sides are twice as big as the wide sides. How long is each side?’

I started of simple, using whole numbers and working the question out, until I got two really close numbers, those numbers were, 3 and 4. That’s when I thought,”Hey can’t we use decimals” So I went and asked Miss Torney, she said that you could. I continued working out and finally came to a conclusion. I added 3.5 + 3.5 + 7.0 + 7.0 and got the answer 21. I got this because 3.5 + 3.5 is seven so then I add the other two sevens and ended up with the answer 21!

Thanks guys,

Meep