The tour of the knight

You may have been on a tour of the arts centre. You may have even been to Delta Goodrem’s wings of the wild tour in 2017. But have you ever seen a (drum roll please)

\knights tour? I haven’t before week 7 term 2.

In said week 7 term 2, Mrs. Flakemore presented us with a task. She told us of the great Euler who invented the knights tour in chess and explained that our task was to figure out a knights tour. I must admit that I was not looking forward to this for I have never played a game of chees in my life. True the task did prove itself a challenge it was enjoyable nevertheless.

When Mrs. Flakemore first presented us with the task I was sick but when I came back I went on with the task. So……………….. Hurry up and tell us the task. There is a time and a place for that. And that is here and now.

A knights tour

Rules:

The knight must make its way from one place on the chess board to another.

Using only the legal moves (a L shape)

So we did that and worked out some methods to do so and then moved on to our next challenge. (yes, they just keep on coming.) Every place that we land we have to write a number. My highest was somewhere near 50.

Before I was about to start this blog post I learned that what by drawing the lines between each spot where we land was called a Hamiltonian pattern. Here are some Hamiltonian patterns of my own.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments

1. Mrs. Flakemore · June 21, 2017 at 10:27 pm ·

Oh Takoda! I love it!!! Well done…and I love your Hamiltonian Paths and that you were challenged but persevered…awesome effort!

• Takoda · June 22, 2017 at 5:38 pm ·

Thankyou.