For the first five weeks of term two we have bean learning how to code microbits.
Microbit coding is a bit like scratch except more complicated and instead of coding sprites you code red lights to flash on and off. This is a example of a code.
In this code there are two types of brick, four blue bricks and a purple brick. There is a lot of different types of bricks. These are some of the most commonly used bricks.
- Basic [blue] bricks, These bricks are simple and easy to under stand. some examples of basic bricks are ‘On start’ [when this brick is attached to a group of bricks these bricks will ocker at the start of the program] and ‘show leds’ [whichever leds are selected will appear on the microbit]
- Input [purple] bricks, These bricks say what to do when a certen thing happens. These are bricks like ‘when button A pressed’ [when the A button is presed do…….] and ‘on shake’ [when the microbit is shaken do…….]
- Music [orange] bricks, you can use these bricks to play music.
I have nine projects different projects:
- duel……….This project is my favourite project, you press the buttons to use spells like Expeliaranus.
- quitege……….i haven’t finished this project yet but once it’s finished you will be able to doge obstetrical’s to get the the quaffle to hoop.
- tug of led……….this is like tug of war but with a red dot instead of a rope.
- dance……….you press the buttons to make the character dance.
- emojis……….when you press the buttons different emojis appear on the microbit.
- micro chat……….using this project me and Addy can send messages to each other.
- rock, paper, scissors……….using this project me and Addy can play rock paper scissors on our microbits.
- Archie’s tug of led……….this is a project i helped my brother make.
- flashing fish……….this was very easy, a fish picture flashes on the screen.
Next i am going to make a Accio Battle and a cello game.
Octopus Fact Clicker
Octopuses are strange but fasinating creachers, this is why i have chosen to make my makey makey project about them.
My project will be a….. [drum roll] OCTOPUS FACT CLICKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will have a picture of a octopus with foil covering parts of it. You will be able to click on the foil parts of the octopus it will say some thing like “if a octopus louses a arm it will just grow back” or “male octopus have a whole arm just for making baby’s!!!!!” 😱😱😱 Shoking but true.
How it works……
Behind the paper there will be a pice of foil, the pice of foil will have a wire leading to the makey maakey atteched to it.
I hope you enjoy learning about one of the worlds weirdest creachers!
In the makey makey bongo progect we hade to use our makey makeys to play a online bongo set here is the link: https://apps.makeymakey.com/bongos/.
I found this project quite easy because we only had to plug in 2 bananas, the left arrow banana and the space bar banana. When you click the left arrow banana [or what ever it is] it will make the lower sound. If you click the space banana I will make a higher sound. Both noises sound like a bongo drum.
One of the makey makey challenges was the piano challenge. We had to use our makey makeys to make an onine piano. Here is the link:https://apps.makeymakey.com/piano/.
The piano challenge was similar to the bongo challenge except a bit harder. As well as plugging in the left arrow and space bar banana we also had to plug in up arrow, down arrow, right arrow and click. The left arrow made the lowest noise and click made the highest noise. All of the noises sound like a piano.
What is electricity??????
Electricity is an energy that flows through things like computers, helping them work. Electricity is in lots of things here are some examples:
- digital clocks
- air conditioning
- fish tank filters
- anything that plugs into a power point
In design we have bean using Makey Makeys. A makey makey is a board you clip wires on to the board and clip the other end onto some thing like a banana, when you touch the banana it should work like a computer key.
If it does not work it is probably because of one of these reasons:
- you are not holding the earth wire
- the earth wire is not clipped to the makey makey board
- the wire is not attached to the banana
- the other end of the wire that is attad to the banana is not attached to the mackey makey board
- the matirial you chose is not one of the working material. Here are some working materials:
- play dough
Here are some materials that do not work:
- card board
- china [plates and bowls not the contry!!!!!]
<–Banana key board!!!!!
In Scratch we created a project called Build-a Band. We had to make our sprites play music.
This is a picture of my code. The green blocks are a special add on called music. The music blocks play notes. In my Build-a-Band I have 4 instruments: cello, piano, drums and a microphone.
Scratch is a coding program where you can create videos, games, music and more!! It is fun and educational.
Here are some things you should know:
Code: A set of instructions
Sprite: A character
Costume: What your sprite looks like
Block: A single instruction, you put blocks together
In scratch we have been given many challenges this includes the build a band challenge.
We had to make our sprites look and sound like they were playing music.
Timing was the hardest part!!!!