Today we did a rube Goldberg thing for our rube Goldberg project this term. Our aim was to put a piece of paper in the bin. We were told to bring in thing like balls and tracks to build it. First we got into little groups of three then we did a plan our first idea was that we could take a photo on a computer. We tried that but it did not work coze the object that you have to hit it didn’t get hit hard enough so it did not take a pitcher. Then we tried to have a se saw thing where one ball goes in and on the other side a ball would come out but when we tied it and the ball on the other side did no come out. So then we did this someone nocks the ball on to a box then it falls of on to the key board and types so letters then falls down a tube that has a piece of paper on the end that falls into the bin.
Today we did our rube Goldberg projects first we went into our groups then we started getting our ideas for what we could do for it we thought of ringing a bell. First on our deigns the ball went down the incline plane up then down on the see-saw then the ball would fall on to the lever and knocks another ball that goes down the lever knock some dominoes then a ball falls into the pulley ringing the bell. Here is a picture of my deign.
First we had to make the ramp then we put the see-saw at the other end but that didn’t get enough speed to get to the other side. So then we put the see-saw first and then the ramp and that worked. So then we added in some levers the first time it worked because the marble went down the see-saw up the ramp and pushed the lever and the marble went down. But the next time it didn’t work. Here are some pictures.
Today we did our rube Goldberg projects. First we had to see if everything still work then we had to make a new paper ramp because the other one was broken so first we tried to make the ramp with normal paper. But that was to thin so then we used a thicker paper that worked. Here is a photo were is was broken.
We also made a structure so it can hold the pulley that we made. We also got a pipe so the marble goes into the pulley straight away with out missing. The structure made the pipes more balanced. The pulley bit has not worked yet so when we get a chance to we will probably work on this the most. Here are two pictures of the structure and the pipes.
We are going to work on the end where the pulley is and the pipes because that bit is the only bit that does not work on out Rube Goldberg machine.
This is my rube Goldberg reflection. I liked doing our deigns because we got to experiment on what we could do in our deigns. We chose to ring a bell because it was a easy task to do and not to complicated to do. What we need it to go to ring the bell. First we put the incline plane to make it have some momentum at the start then another incline plane to get up. We put the lever there so it goes down into the tube. We put the pulley there so it could hit the bell straight away and so we had another simple machine. The two things on our Rube Goldberg machine that did not work were the lever bit was because it some times did not get pushed enough so the other marble did not go down the tube. The other bit were it did not work is where the marble falls out into the pulley. Some times it did not work because the tube and the funnel bit were not inline with the pulley. The other times it does not work is because the marbles are not heavy enough so you had to put three to five marbles in. So in the end sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t work. I learnt that you have to keep working hard at it and sometimes it doesn’t all way work.