7For the next few weeks we are focusing on pulling an object apart and putting it back together as something different. I am excited to see the different parts, purposes and complexities from the Hex bug I am pulling apart and how I can use the parts to make something.
This is what I will be pulling apart. It is a Hex bug.
We focused on the school system for a lesson. We did parts, people and interactions. It is how the school works and parts of the school.
Down below is my drawing of my Hex Bug. I did the parts of a Hex Bug and how it works.
Here is how I started pulling apart the Bug.
I started with the bolt on the head. I unscrewed it but it wouldnt come out. I made it loose.
I ended up taking the casing off the head and found these 3 circle batteries.
Something I found interesting was when I took off the red casing on the power button the Bug still worked. I thought it may have affected how it works.
Where is took the red casing off the power button it has a little gap that I can take the green casing off. I found a problem. I don’t want to snap the green casing because I want to show it as one whole piece. I will have to find a solution to it.
I pulled this button like thing off the top of the power button. I am glad that I pulled it off because it gives me room to pull the green casing off the base.
I found a way to take the green casing off the base. I pulled the bolt that was holding it together off with some plyers. That let the green casing become loose and come off.
After doing that it opened up all of the parts. I screwed all of the bolts off and then all of the bits down below came off.
The silver bits were protecting the white parts. The bolts were connecting most of the parts together. The grey and white parts on the end were connected to the base and the legs so that was part of what held the base and the base of the legs together.
Something hard while unscrewing the bolts was gettting the right size screwdriver. One of the bolts that I tried to unscrew was out of shape from when I tried to unscrew it for too long. I got some plyers and ripped the bolt off.
Sometimes when I was working some parts just randomly fell off which was helpful.
Down below is a photo of all the pieces from the bug.
The 2 top left green parts are from the head. The very first one was protecting the where the batteries were. The second piece was holding the batteries and also connected to the part that connected the base to the base of the legs. It was also holding a micro chip and the micro chip was connected to the mini motors by wires. The other green parts were holding the part that connected the legs and the base together. It also had bolts screwed into it. The silver parts were holding the white parts next to the silver parts on the picture down below. The white parts spin and are connected to the legs so that makes the legs move. The grey and green things are the legs. They were pretty hard to take off because they had the long bolts that you don’t have to screw off so I had to pick at it. The 3 circle things are batteries. The red thing is the casing from the power button. That was the first thing I started to take off when starting taking apart the bug. The 2 white parts and the grey part are the parts that connected the base and the legs together. The 2 black parts below the 3 batteries I don’t know exactly what they are. One of them is a button like thing. The rest of the silver/grey bolts were just holding most things together.
This is the rest of the bug that was too hard to take apart.
Now that I have pulled all of the Hex Bug apart I can start Up-Cycling. Up-Cycling is where I put my things back together as something different.. I have pulled all of it apart so now I can make something with all of parts that came off the bug.
I am going to make a lighthouse using some of Leon’s materials. Our idea is to make a light house that shines down on the beach while surfers (The bugs legs) are surfing the waves. We might come up with some other ideas as we go as the idea is a little basic.
Here is my plan for the project. It’s a scan.
This is how we have started the building. We have put the cardboard light house with makeydoos connecting it together. We have covered the base with yellow paper as the sand and blue tissue rapper as the water. Here is a photo.
We have ran out of time to finish our project. What I would have liked to achieve was finishing the light on the lighthouse and the surfers on the beach. Another thing would be finding other ways to us some of the extra parts that I had leftover. We hadn’t had the chance to do the code for the hummingbird as we did not have enough time.
Something I found challenging was all of the small bolts and plastic pieces from my Hex Bug. What I mean about that being challenging is putting those things into my project. A lot of the pieces I don’t think I could have used again.
I really enjoyed these couple of weeks doing tinkering and making a lighthouse shining on the beach because I found out lots of different parts that were in a Hex Bug.
I rate this project a 9/10.