Zoo Conservation Film Reflection

Hi Everyone,

In the first week of term, the year 6’s started another film project. This time, we had to use this film to persuade others of something, to do something. We had the task to create a conservation film for one of the ten SOS animals on the zoo website. The SOS 10 stands for save our species, as it consists of 10 endangered animals that are in desperate need of help. To chose which animal we were going to lend our voice to, we went onto the zoo website and looked at some facts, videos and statistics about how long the animal will live for. Some of these animals were the Australian Fur seal, the Baw Baw frog, the gorilla and the Tasmanian devil. I chose the Tassy devil as I have always loved them and they are native to Tasmania and no-where else.

Once we had decided which animal our film would be representing, we had to research some facts about the chosen animal and start to construct our scripts for our voice overs. They had to be convincing, entertaining, powerful and we had to make our audience care about the chosen animal, in my case the Tasmanian Devil. Once we had written a persuading script to the best of our abilities, we were to go on an excursion up to the Melbourne Zoo to collect footage of our animal and to possibly speak to the enclosure keepers to gain some more knowledge and facts for our scripts.

Once we were at the zoo, we split into our animal groups and headed off to the enclosures, casually stopping to look at the other animals! On our way there, we went to a small workshop that all the groups attended to do with our animals, and others. We didn’t really learn anything new from the workshop as we had already done a heap of research before leaving that morning. Everything went well until we actually reached the Tasmanian Devil enclosure. When we got there, the devils were no-where to be seen. Not one was visible even sleeping. We realized that Tassy devils are nocturnal, so they were all asleep in their little burrows under logs. Even with no animals, we still were required to film a PTC (peace to camera) at the sight were the devils were held. We got to work and in the middle of one of our takes, a little head and body waddled out and started to sunbathe right in front of us! it wasn’t moving but we were still pretty excited! We took some pictures and then it went back. That was all we saw of the devils that day.

When we got back to school, we had to dump all the footage onto our computers and the next day, start to edit and put our conservation films together! Since we had no footage of the Tassy devils, we only had to load off the PTC and start to look for some videos and photos on the internet. When we had collected enough to cover our script, we had to practice, practice, practice our scripts so we were ready to record our voice overs. Once we had that step over, we put our recordings, photos and videos into Corel, an app that allows u to edit and produce a film, and to start to peace together the audio, with music and line up the footage to make sure it all flows. I was away on the Monday of last week so I missed out on some time when I was scheduled to record so I was put back on having to actually practice and record my voice over, put it into my film, make sure it flows and THEN have my first finished draft done.

Since everyone had completed their first draft already, when the sharing session of the first drafts came along, instead o getting feedback from 5 people which I needed, I had to just walk around and give feedback myself. This held me back even more. So I had to work extra hard at home to make sure that it all fitted and got some feedback form my friends in the morning.

This is how I managed to create my film. Now that it is finished, I would like to show you it and insert all the positive feedback I got at the very end about this film. Some or all of the films will be put on the zoo website as the whole point of this project is to raise awareness and make a change.

Please comment if you have any feedback!

I love your film, it made me care for your animal – Samantha

I really like your film and the photos and your voice overs are very good and you made me care about this animal – Milly

Good facts you used. Great footage. The music you used worked well, you made me care a lot about this animal – Steven

Good, it mad me sad that these animals are dying out- Sophie

I really like the music and how you stop then start it. I think that the zooming in and out fits well with the pace of the music. It made me really care about your animal- Emmy

Your voice overs were where really good and I liked how you displayed your message. Your facts where really good and the images and footage where very powerful. -Mikayla

Well done the facts are sad that makes your care about it, good job -Harriette

I think you had a really good message that came across strong. Your music was really nice and complimented your footage and your script.-Mary B.

I really like your script and it is really powerful. and the music really matches the mood. -Sophie

I loved your P.T.C and how you found very confronting images -Lily

This film was intriguing and visually stunning. All the imagery you used was flawless and your video had heaps of emotion. The voice over was also really easy to understand which made the film more effective.-Bailey G

I really like how you added powerful images and had clear voice overs.-Henry

Your videos, voiceovers and music is good- Ellie

Your Facts were really good, it made me sad, it was very touching and made me want to help. great job Emmaline-Tilly