Watching Words

1-too_many_words_by_payana-dev

This week, I’ve read a couple of different books but haven’t finished any of them yet. They are Cleo, a biography about a lady called Helen brown and her cat Cleo, camp Nightmoon, a book from the Goosebumps series, and Nancy Drew and the Ivory charm on my kindle. Even though I have read all these books, the one I found with the most challenging words is The man from snowy river. I will choose 10 interesting words from the book that either describe something really well or I found challenging, and write their definition.

1. TORS

I had to google this one two because I had no idea what it was. I found out that it is a rocky peak or ledge thing that you would find in the you yangs or something, like a mini cliff. – The sound of the wind in the granite tors.

2. WHITHER

Whither is an old fashioned way of saying where to. EG Whither away? – from book.

3. SHIED

Shied is when a horse jumps or darts in fright. – A small snake peered from the bushes so the herd leapt and shied.

4. KNOLL

A mound or small hill is called a Knoll.  – The stallion stopped on a high knoll where the snow gums had long ago been killed by fire.

5. CLEAVE

To split or divide something especially along a natural line or grain. – He had seen lightening cleave the sky and forests set ablaze.

6. HEED

To obey or take notice of something. – Any mare who had heard his neigh ring out from that high knoll, would heed his call and follow him.

7.PHALANGER

This is a type of tree dwelling lemur like creature which is native to Australia and Papa New Guinea. – a giant flying phalanger, near the top of a smooth ribbon gum, stopped climbing and sat and listened to the sound.

8. VENEER

A thin decorative covering of fine wood applied to a coarser type of wood or other material – He stood up, a fair boy of about 18 , and gently ran his work-scarred but sensitive hands over the veneer surface of the instrument.

9. LEDGER

A book or other collection of financial accounts. – Ledgers and notebooks lay open on a desk.

10. DISCORDENCE

Conflicting or disagreeing. – the wheezing and discordance was even worse.

I hope all these definitions will help you to understand some words better. I certainly do now.

I would recommend the Man from snowy river to allot of people. Basically anyone who is into great books about horses and the wilderness.

One thought on “Watching Words

1. Well done Emmaline. What a cool word, tors. I learnt something new today already because of you! 🙂
    Do you think that you will use any of these words in your writing? If so, which ones?