Setting Analysis

Screen-Shot-2015-03-30-at-1_36_34-PM

My setting analysis will be about the book based on the poem by Banjo Paterson, The Man from Snowy River.

It is set in a bush type of area in my opinion, kind of like the You Yangs or the Otway from the way it describes the trees, wind and granite rocks and mountains. It seems to be untouched by the modern world because the way the author has put it, it sounds as if it is ruled by native animals and stallions.

I will write out a section from the first page because like in a film, the first page or scene is usually used to tell you where the book is set. I will also make the adjectives Bold and clear and write what they mean below.

The cold autumn wind blew over the mountain peaks. It touched the
hides of the wild horses, lifted the jet black and silver manes
that shone in the sunset light. The sound of the wind in the
granite tors, high above them, filled the
mob with urgent disquiet. The great black stallion
tossed his head, gathered his herd, and set off at a wild gallop
along the snowgrass ridge.

1: COLD- A feeling to describe your body getting affected by the weather.
2: JET BLACK- A really dark, rich, pure type of black with no intertwining colours
3: SHONE- when a source of light gives a bright glow.
4: TORS- a rocky peak/hill.
5: URGENT- with great rush or stimulance.
6: GREAT BLACK- something that’s strong and more of a leader than the rest. Black, 7: just telling the colour.

8: WILD- Un tamed or feral.

I find this book really interesting and entertaining because it is so descriptive. I always have a really clear picture in my mind and a really good time reading it.

This is a beautiful piece of writing and I recommend it to anyone who likes an enjoyable, relaxing book.

5 thoughts on “Setting Analysis

1. Good adjectives Emmaline. 🙂
    I love that you have included a section of text from the book. What is your analysis of the setting? Have you ever been to a place like it?

2. What a coincidence! I just finished ‘The Girl from Snowy River’ by Jackie French, and as the title suggests, it relates to the poem by Banjo Paterson.