PASSION PROJECT: TERM 2

Checkpoint #1: description

WHAT IS MY PASSION PROJECT?

For my passion project I am doing animating. I enjoy both drawing and all things technological, animating combing the two. I had gotten recommended this animating app recently by a cousin and I am still finding my way around it. Before this I have done very few experiments with the app, just getting the basics understood. I am excited for the trials and hopefully triumphs that come with doing this project on something that I have not done much of yet at all.

ABOUT MY PROJECT

I am doing a short animation talking about, well, animation. I am hoping by using my shotlist, (Passion Project 1 shotlist.docx) I can get a total of eight scenes done. It may be shortened with time constraints in the future. It may seem simple, but it is very hard to get the speed of the speech to connect with the speed of my voice. There are certain parts that will be simpler like displaying logos of the apps I used and there will be more complicated parts such as raising the arms of the character and dropping them back down.

WHAT NEW SKILLS WILL I NEED TO LEARN?

To start off with I with must learn my way around the app that I am using to animate (Flipaclip) so that it does not take me weeks to get the first mouth movement done. I will also have to learn this certain character style that the app that I used to make my character (Gacha Club) uses. Another skill is that I will need to learn how to properly get the speed of my voice to match the speed of the characters speech. I hope that I learn much more skills the further I get into this project.

Checkpoint #2: update

WHAT HAVE I DONE SO FAR?

So far, I have started animating my character and have tested out some ways to move her around. By doing animation it has given me a glimpse of how hard people who make animated movies work. I have almost finished scene 2 so I plan to figure out the last few aspects of the animating app before going full force of finishing it. Here are some glimpses of what I have got so far.

WHAT IS LEFT TO DO?

All that is left now is to add some photos, a few more sentences of animation and a few more on top of that of voice overs and then after that all that is left is the reflection.

Checkpoint #3: reflection

This is the final checkpoint, the reflection! I have done quite a lot more and I am quite happy with what I had achieved in the end.

WHAT WAS DIFFICULT AND/OR MADE ME HAVE TO CHANGE?

I had originally planned to have a last little bit on the end, but not only did I run out of time but as I was working on this project, I found out truly how hard lip syncing in animation is. I may say this many times, but it is hard. I am only doing a few seconds of it, and it is a lot. I also, in the end ran out of time to do the credits which would have taken another fifteen minutes and may have made me go over the deadline. It amazes me that animated films take the time that they do to make. It really proves the power of teamwork and how helpful it is to an operation. It was really challenging not only as I have said with lip syncing but also at one point, I decided to make the arm move up after I had made all the shots for it, and I barely made it under the deadline.

HOW DID I SOLVE THESE DIFFUCULTIES?

With the extra lip syncing I had to cut it out to save time because otherwise even though it may have made it a better movie, it would have taken so much time, maybe even so much that it would be over half an hour over deadline. The same sort of thing goes with the credits. As I said in the previous paragraph, it may have taken fifteen minutes too many to finish and with the previous solution’s timeframe if I did not use it, that would be terrible for me. With my spontaneous art brain speaking to me without me listening, I had made the arms start to rise and once I had fully noticed and confronted my spontaneous brain it was too late. I had to lower the arms earlier then it had originally seemed to of been doing which was a problem because then I had to draw the hair back on and it looked more different than before.

HOW COULD I EXTEND MY LEARNING IF I WERE TO CONTINUE WITH THIS PROJECT?

If I was to continue with this project, I would learn how to use lot’s and lots of different lip syncing tips and tricks and hopefully be able to make my character lip sync a lot better than it is currently. This would mean that instead of the start being slow and than it slowly speeding up, it would be the same pace unless it is a slow paced character that I have chosen to use. I would also have to learn how to finish it off without it sounding either slow or abrupt. If I try to slowly lean the piece into a conclusion than I may spend a quarter of the time just concluding it. If I concluded it too abruptly than it may seem like it was rushed or that there is more and that even if it was concluded that it wasn’t.

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH THE NEW SKILL I NOW HAVE?

I think I may make a few more different little animations for family members or just for fun. This was an extremely fun project and I might do more animation.