In Design this time we have been given the choice to do our own project. Lottie,Lexie and I have chosen to make a password door. We decided to get inspiration from the inside of a computer and we got to pull one apart. The feeling was indescribable as we opened up a computer. It was interesting to see what the computers were made out of and there were lots and lots of screws. We also found a mother board, wires, quite a few other boards and quite a bit of plastic too. This was very hard work!
First we had to decide on what to make it out of (material). We first thought of making it out of cardboard but then we realised that it might be flimsy so we made it out of wood.
Then we thought of when to make it. We thought that we might not have enough time to do it in class so I thought that we could all come together and build it some where but it would be too much work to do. So I decided to do it at home with my dad. Here is a picture of me doing it…
Once I finished it looked like this…
I bought the door to school on Tuesday the next week and Lottie and Lexie were very pleased. We have drawn out little models of what we might like the door to look like and what we might like to have on it. We search up on YouTube on how to make a password door with electronics. The most clips that we found were using Arduino. We found a video that we wanted to use, we got an Arduino kit and started. We had a two other things come a few days later, like our keypad and servo motor. Our Keypad came this week!
This week before we did anything to do with our project we had to fill in a table in our design book and write about what we had done in our project so far. This part was called Create and this is what i have done in my table. Here is a picture of my work…
The Servo motor was meant to come on Monday but it came on Wednesday and we were very exited when it came! 🙂
Today we got the time to attach the Servo motor and that means that we are all most done!
We got to solder a red and green LED with a 220 Ohm resistor together. It was very interesting to see it being done. Emma one of our class mates helped us to solder the LEDs and resistor together. It was great to see this done so then we can move on!
This week on Tuesday our soldered red and green LEDs and 220 Ohm resister broke :(. All that hard work gone! I was so disappointed to see it broken.Then I realised that we had the Exhibition that Friday (that was when I posted this).
Week 7 Term 4
We have painted our door!! I am so excited to have that done, we have been wanting to do that for a long time and now it is done! I think that we should show you it…
and we also drilled a hole so we could slot the keypad though and stick it to the side of the door as you can see in this other picture
and we have also got a shelf for our Arduino UNO board as well,
We also tried to use the programming but sadly it didn’t work! 🙁 Even when we had the right libraries. Then we went up to IT.
We still haven’t figured out what is wrong but we will get there!
Week 8 Term 4
I have decided to not continue on with the project and start a new one with Eve. We have decided to make a LED Cherry Blossom tree.
This has been a great project to make and bring to life and some what confusing but a lot of fun, and i also wish to try it again.
By Bronte 5C