Simple Machines

On the 14 of June 2018 5C started a new task called Simple Machines. There are six simple machines; A Wheel and Axle, a Wedge, a  Lever, an Inclined Plane, a Screw and a Pulley.

For the first task Mr. Colbert gave us the instruction to find a photo of the simple machine, stick it into our design book and describe what we know just underneath the picture of the simple machine. At this point we did not need a partner so we had to do it individually.

I completed task really easily and underneath are the pictures of the six simple machines.

For the second task, Mr. Colbert told us to build a model of each simple machine out of K’nex.

I found this task nearly as easy as the first, all I had to do was work out what the simple machine looked like and just tried a few different pieces and most of them worked. Underneath is my movie for my Simple machine models.

For the next task, our teacher (Mr. Colbert) told us to make a model of something with a simple machine in it out of K’nex. We were told to use the instructions to see how good we were at following instructions. At the end our teacher told us to record the simple machine making the K’nex model work.

This task was much more fun then the first 2 because we were building something that would actually do something. I chose to make a Phonograph because it looked pretty hard and I wanted to challenge myself. Underneath is my phonograph made out of K’nex in a short movie.

Next me and my friend Xavier decided to do a project using Lego WeDo 2.0. Lego WeDo 2.0 is a lot like the first and original Lego WeDo, Xavier and I chose to do it because we were both pretty good at the original WeDo.

Our first project was to make a car called a drive, we had to do the programming for our Lego car. The teacher showed us how to Bluetooth our computer to our Lego control block. The program was easy because the Lego Wedo 2.0 software shows you how to do the program. Here is a video of our Lego car working. Xavier and I only decided to make 5 models so we didn’t have to much.

Our first model was a mini car called the drive, it was pretty easy because all we had to do was put a few pieces together and then it was built. Underneath is a video of the drive driving to victory. The simple machines in the drive is a Pulley, where the pulley keeps turning and the robot go forward and also a Wheel and Axle to make the car move forward.

For our second transport using WeDo 2.0, Xavier and I decided to make a car of our own. We added some mods to our car like a chain, a spoiler and other mods. Xavier and I haven’t named this car yet, but I want to call it the Jeffinator. The simple machine in the Jeffinator is a Wheel and Axle, which connects to the motor and then the motor move the Jeffinator forward. Underneath is a video of the Jeffinator in action.

Our third project didn’t work very well, it was called the Sweeper. The Sweeper had a pulley on it that connected to the motor. When the motor turned the rubber bands would turn with the pulley and also power these green things that were the Sweeper’s brush. The Sweeper wouldn’t work for us because the rubber bands kept going out of place. Here is a video of the Sweeper nearly working :(.

For our fourth project on Lego WeDo 2.0 Xavier and I decided to make a thing called a Revolve. The Revolve had 2 or 3 Pulleys and 2 or 3 Wheel and Axles. The motor would be on the side, there would be a stick with a cog and a Pulley on it coming out of the motor and then it would go to another Pulley powered by a Wheel and Axle and then go up to a cog with a Axle and then it would turn this piece of Lego. The good thing was this project actually worked and it looked really cool, underneath is a video of the Revolve working :).

This was the last project Xavier was here for. It was called the Wobble, the reason it is called the wobble is because one of the Axle’s has a piece which is curved, it still goes forward but just wobbles and looks weird and cool. The wobble works by the motor where the motor is attached to an Axle and that makes the back wheels turn, and then up the front there is a Axle attached to a cog that goes into another cog that is on the front wheels’ Axle and then that turns the cog that turns the Axle which turns the Wheels. Underneath is the Wobble Wobbling to victory.

One comment

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>