Lego Mindstorms EV3 Project 2

Lego Mindstorms EV3 project 2 was probably even better than week 1 when Jack and I were building our EV3 Mindstorms robot. I think project 2 was better because at the start of the week our teachers gave our groups a few little challenge of homework (Some homework is boring and all but this one wasn’t).

There were 3 challenges the teachers asked us to do, the first challenge was to make our robot go forward exactly a metre and come back to exact start by reversing. We were not allowed to turn on this challenge. The second challenge was to make our robot go around a baseball diamond made of four 1 metre rulers. The third and final challenge was to make our robots go half a metre or a full metre forward and then turn around and come back to the start. Jack wasn’t here for the completion of all the challenges.
The first challenge was pretty easy (even though I got 3 days before I typed this blog) all we had to do was to make the robot go forward then back. Jack and I started the 4 weeks with these challenges, we completed all the challenges but then there was a glitch in my program on my file. I found this out on the Thursday before the Monday when my blog is due.

This is the coding of the first challenge, I used seconds to help, I figured out that it took 3 seconds for the robot to go an exact metre if the robot was going at full power. The last brick on my screen was used to reverse and negative 100 power makes it reverse back at full pace I forgot to get a video for this challenge but the other challenges all have videos).

The second challenge was hard for Jack and I because we were getting so close each time and it wouldn’t go around the diamond with out turning to late and then turning to early. The troubleshooting for this challenge was to make it turn at the right time.

This is my coding for the second challenge (I had to break it into each brick because the whole snip of the coding for this challenge was to big to put on).

 

 

 

 

The first brick’s coding was to make the wheels go forward 6 rotations because 6 rotations equals just over a metre so our robot didn’t turn to early or to late. I found rotations easier for this one because I could just use my robot ruler that shows my rotations, and I found degrees harder because I don’t know how to use degrees for turning and going forward with my EV3 robot.

The second brick’s coding was to make the robot turn. I found out that to make the robot turn 90 degrees using rotations you have to make it turn 65 on full power to make it turn exactly 90 degrees (I used this same brick after each metre). I found Rotations easier for this brick because Luka Didulica helped me use the rotations to make it turn and see how much rotations my robot needed to turn 90 degrees. I tried making it steer 50 but that was to short and didn’t turn 90 degrees so I tried 55 but that didn’t work so I tried 60 but that didn’t work either, so I tried 65 and it worked perfectly. Using seconds didn’t work for this brick as effective as rotations because I coul“dn’t work out how long it took and using a stopwatch would take to long.

The third brick’s coding was to make the robot go forward. But I found out that I needed to make each metre after the turn half a second longer than the last one because otherwise the robot would turn to early. I found out that using seconds for me was the same effect for Rotations and Seconds because I could of just used my rotations ruler to measure how much rotations it would take for me to go a bit further than the ruler so I could get a good turn and not have my robot turning into the ruler. I used seconds though because I thought that 3 and half seconds would make the robot go further than the ruler and it worked perfectly after about 33 tries.

The fourth brick’s coding was after the turn (because I used the brick 2 after each metre because it was super effective). I found out that after each turn I had to make it go half a second further then each metre brick before this brick so the our robot always has room to turn. Rotations could have worked for us to like the brick before but I decided to make it seconds because I had found out the pattern for going half a second further each time.

The fifth brick’s coding was nearly the exact same as the last 3 because by the time I had finished coding the fourth brick the coding was turning into the pattern of going up half a second each time.

 

This is my video my robot doing a lap of a baseball diamond. Hope you enjoy :).

The third and final challenge for the last few weeks was when we were set a task to make our robot go half a metre or a full metre forward and make it turn around and come back because it was going to be tagged out by a baseball fielder. I chose my robot to go half a metre forward because it would make more sense for a robot to go half a metre because in baseball if you are about to be tagged out by a fielder you would be safe if you went to the other base.

This is the coding for the third challenge, For the first brick I found out that going 3 rotations with our robot’s power at 50 would make it our robot go half a metre forward. For the second brick it took a bit more tries to get the robot to turn 180 degrees. I could of also use 1 rotation instead of 1 second because it still would have worked but I decided to use seconds to try something a bit different. The third brick was the exact same as the first because when my robot turned it would go exactly half a metre forward and land where our robot started.

I found EV3 robotics project 2 really fun because I learnt a lot of stuff and had fun with my partner. Even if you don’t complete or win something it is still fun to try.

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>