Lego Robotics

Starting The Machine

Archer, Harry and I started making a snowplough although there is now snow here Harry came up with this idea. What we did was started making the actual plough. it took a few lessons but we finally made it (see pictures below).

If you look at the photos above then you will see the plough starting to take shape / form.

these photos are of the plough almost finished. Also, we attached the wheels to the EV3 ROBOT.


A Recent History Of Australia’s Prime Ministers

A Recent History Of Australia’s Prime Ministers

Harry and I are working on a project together. We intend to provide information about the six most recent prime ministers. To do this we will construct a machine that will give information by a voice  speaking to the user. This will include their names and how long the prime ministers were in power for. I expect that you will learn how we construct our machine. I hope you enjoy!


Building The Structure (Lesson 1)

We have built a shell and created a flap at the back of the box to give access to the makey makey which will be placed inside. We added a handle to the flap to make it easier to open and close. Here are some progress pictures.

Connecting The Circuits (Lesson 2)

We have taped a black piece of paper to the front of the box. To this we stuck the names of the prime ministers and each of these will have its own foil tab (see pictures below). Harry and I stabbed holes through the cardboard for foil to come through. The foil has been connected to the makey makey using an alligator clip.

We then built the earth wire part of the circuit (the part of the makey makey that completes the electrical circuit, allowing it to work). We clipped a wire to the base of the makey makey. The user will hold the other end of the wire when operating the machine. Then when they touch the foil under a prime minister’s name, the machine will tell them what they need to know about that prime minister.

Decorating the front and back of the box (Lesson 3)

We created a billboard / sign that advertises the what the machine does. Also we have stuck some sticky tape to the board to help it stand up. At the back of the box we have attached a cord to Harry’s computer so at the presentation will be easier to set up. We will put a speaker inside the machine so you can here the voice more clearly. here are some progress pictures.

Completing the box (Lesson 4)

Today Harry and I finished the box. This included colouring in the sides which have M’s coloured in red, white and yellow to resemble the make makey that is placed inside. We also poked holes through the sides of the box so that when we place the mini speaker inside, the sound will be projected and the voice will be much louder and clearer. If you would like to see some photos of our work, look down below.

As you can see the second two M,s are a bit rushed because the design lesson was about to end but the first two M,s are more detailed because we had more time to draw them. Also, we did add on some extra stands underneath the billboard to help it stand up because it was very droopy. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures that show you the development our box.


Our Scratch code

This is our code on scratch for our project.



These are screen snips of the coding I have completed over the last few design lessons (I apologise that the screen snips are a bit blurry). I have finished some of the beginner activities provided by Microbit. For example: the Magic 8 Ball, Dice, Temperature and Smiley Buttons. So far I have learnt how to program simple things using the coding blocks but I am still in the process of learning the rest. To help avoid errors in my code, I could work on following the website instructions more carefully.

So far, I have learnt:

  •  How to fix small errors in my coding
  •  How to create my own working projects
  •  Where to put the coding blocks