In design we are making marble roller coaster. The aim of this project is to design, evaluate and redesign until you’ve created an amazing loop the loop roller coaster. This project has to have at least one loop which means it requires a very steep ramp at the start so it gains enough momentum to go around the loop. I think the loop will work because once it goes up the first part of the ramp it regains speed at the bottom it needs a ramp of course though. In this one lesson I managed to make my first design it had a very steep slope at the start so it could pick up enough momentum by the time it reaches the loop. It was pretty simple it only had one loop with a jump at the end.
Here’s a picture of my design:
In this lesson we started making our roller coaster, we made them by attaching pieces of tube together the challenge was to try and make it with as little tape as possible or none if you can. I this lesson we managed to make the start of our roller coaster but we are still to make the loop at the end because we didn’t have enough time to finish it but we’ll do it next lesson. We also could make it out of knex like making a frame for a bridge I was surprised how strong it was and could be really helpful. I really think that we could make ours smaller though because you won’t be able to transport it.
This lesson I had to work on my blog post before I could do anything with our roller coaster because I needed to fill in gaps in between it. But once I was done I got strait to making, we recreated our design so that it was smaller, transportable and that it’s only supported by k’nex.
The advantage of making my roller coaster smaller is not only that it’s and easy to transport but it requires less force at the start to make the loop because if the loop is smaller the force to make the loop can be smaller too.
This lesson I started on making my k’nex base so then I could entwine the tube into it and the loop.
I tried to make it so it was flexible but strong so it could support everything and at the same time be flexible in case the tube doesn’t fit perfectly.
This session me and my group started on finding out on how we were going to make the track for the roller coaster and making sure it had a loop as well.
That’s where we got stuck because there were no pipes long enough to fit the structure of it but then we relized that we could use the hot wheels track that Mrs Watson brought in to show us how we do a loop. It fitted perfectly into the k’nex just by weaving it around it and then we put a long metal pipe at the start to have enough momentum for the loop.
What even better that it shows a lot more clearly how centripetal force works because there’s nothing else stopping it from falling. But if it’s a pipe then if falls no one will relise that it doesn’t work.
But what’s even better is that it can acturly make the loop without falling.
Here’s a video of our roller coaster in action!
Our roller coaster may seem finished but this session me and my group knew we could do more. So this lesson we decided that we should put a cork screw at the to make our roller coaster even better.
The idea is the same as the loop I made a k’nex structure not unlike the one that we did for the first part. But it was smaller because it can closer to the ground.
We just attached another piece of hot wheels track that one of the group members brought in and twisted it into the k’nex to make go upside down and up again.
BUT there’s a twist (sorry for the bad pun) now we have to try and work out how to connect our roller coaster with another groups to make one whole roller coaster.
Here’s a video of our roller coaster:
In this session me and my went and found a group right after we’d shown to teachers our work and they were happy with it. What we did is we had the other groups roller coaster on a table and ours on the ground so it could join easily without losing momentum. Altogether we had two loops and a corkscrew which I’m really proud of and really like. Now all we need to do is find a way to make it so it goes back to the start of it so it really seems like a roller coaster.
Today was our last design session for our marble roller coaster and all we had to do was attach a tube so the marble could come back to our imaginary station so I think we were pretty ahead of time. But there were just a few bits and pieces we just had to improve to make it work 10o% of the time like having to support the start of the pipe that rounds it of to the station higher because that way it will be on a down hill.
But after we’d made it as best as it could be the everyone got to go around and look at everyone else’s roller coaster to compare it yours and even though not everyone got there’s finished or it didn’t work every time it was still really cool. The intensions were great because I still saw everyone’s designs and those were amazing so I’m really proud of everyone.
But back to my to my roller coaster I really like it though if I were to do it again I would try and make it smaller and more compact but it’s quite hard once you’ve joined roller coasters with another group and I think everyone struggled with that. But over all I really liked the finished product but there’s always room for improvement and that’s what I’m going to do in our next project.