Tiana's Blog

Fay’s Nines

| 0 comments

1.With fay’s nines we had to add three 3 digit numbers that equal 999. The digits we had to use where 1-9. You can use each digits only once in each solution.

2. As soon as I started this problem I instantly started trying to work out the pattern and the key with the help of a few visual patterns.

3. we all worked out that there is 180 solutions to this problem. I worked out that each number gets to go in the centre of the equation 20 times and that the hundreds column needs to equal 800 , the tens column needs to equal 180 and the units column needs to equal 19.

4. I broke the problem into three parts, part  1 is finding out how many unique combinations there are for the units column ,each combination needs to equal 19. There is 5 combinations for this part. Part 2 is finding out how many unique combinations there are for the tens column, each combination needs to equal 180. There is 6 combinations for this part. The last part is finding out how many unique combinations there are for the hundreds column, each combination needs to equal 800. There is 6 combinations for this part.

5. the fact that there is 180 solutions is because that 6(from the hundreds combo’s)x 6(from the tens combo’s)x 5(from the units combo’s) =180.

6. I think the reason that this project was challenging was because there was so many parts of it and not much time to do it.