#reflect

This blog post is going to be a reflection on making my skim board!

I originally set out to build a small surfboard, but then thought realistically about the decision. My dad suggested that I make a skim board. After he had explained what a skim board was, I agreed. I don’t think I could say that I completely achieved my goal, but I am definitely very pleased with the finished product.

Towards the end when I had to film me trying to ride the board, it was 11 degrees and it felt like we were in the middle of a tornado. It was very, very cold and sand was blowing on the back of our legs. The water was freezing.

When it actually started to get quite dangerous, we had to go and use the footage that we had, witch wasn’t much. I probably needed more footage, but it was very unlikely because of how cold, windy and dangerous it was. In the end, I stuck with what I had.

If I was to continue with this project, I would probably go and ride my skim board again and learn more about how to ride it and work it. Another thing I would learn if I continued was how to clean off the wax and things like that.

In my video, my dad rides my board! Will he be a pro,

Or will he be a flop?

Watch the video to find out!

 

Win At The Fair

The past few weeks in Project maths our class has been working on a problem called “Win At The Fair”.

On the first session of out new problem, we were introduced to a game board. Here is what it looked like.

(How you play: You put your counter on the “Start” tile, and roll two dice. Say if I rolled a 4 and a 2, my number would be 6. If you look at the tile at the very bottom of the picture, with the arrows pointing out of it, you will see numbers on the end of the arrows. They determine witch way I move my counter. If I roll 1,2,3,4 or 5, I move my counter left. If I roll 6, 7 or 8, I move my counter forward. If I roll 9, 10, 11, or 12, I move my counter right. You keep rolling until you land on a prize.)

My class played 117 games all together, and here is the data that we collected of how many people landed on what prize.

As you can see on the right side of the picture, we put $117 dollars in (because we played 117 games, each worth $1), and with the game board that we had, we put $213.40 out. We had a total loss of $96 dollars. Everyone decided that the money that went out, and that we lost, wasn’t good enough.

The next session we were told to create a game board of our own, and we could choose our own prizes and dice directions. Since this board was called the “Creative Board” we could include things like “Black holes” to make it harder for the player to get to the”Jackpot”.

As you can see, we have put two black holes in effective spots. We put the first black hole on the right of the “start” tile, because we figured that 1, if you rolled a number that turned you right then you would be eliminated, and 2, it is basically impossible to get to the $5 because there is no option to roll downwards. Think about it.

After that, we were told to make a board that would be enticing yet profitable. This board was called our “Official board”, and it couldn’t have any black holes or obstacles. Here is our “Official Board” data.

But our board didn’t always look like this, here is the process of what we went through to get this board.

Try 1 = $1,177.90 out and $1.18 average payout

Try 3 = $905.30 out and $0.91 average payout

(changed the $15 jackpot to $9)

Try 5 = $32.30 out and $0.53 average payout

(changed 10 to 50, $9 to $10)

Try 7 (final)= $422.50 out and $0.42 average payout

(Changed 50 to $10)

Our board was profitable because there was only 1 “jackpot” and the rest of the prize tiles were mostly cents and $1.

Our board was enticing because the first thing the player saw was the $10 jackpot, and they knew it was possible to get. Also, getting a $1 isn’t so bad.

Here is another snip of our finished board.