In this session of design we started the big challenge of making our own Rube Goldberg machines. In our contraptions, we had to include at least 3 simple machines, and our machines had to be portable. We got into our groups, and started to discuss the what simple machines we would put in our machines, how it would work and what materials we were going to use. Here is a picture of some of my groups ideas.
This session was a shorter lesson so we only had time to put down a few ideas.
Next lesson I am going to keep listing down possible ideas and then put them in a design.
Today I started my design for the Rube Goldberg machines. One of my group members wasn’t here so we would have to fill them in on our ideas and decisions. We did this the whole session, as well as fine lining when we thought we had listed all of the ideas for our machines. Here is a video of me discussing and drawing most of my design.
Where to next?
Next lesson I am going to continue on doing my design and start fine lining it.
In this session I completed my design. Here is a picture of my finished design.
I included how it works. This is how it works:
You pull down a lever (lever) that tilts (inclined plane), causing the two marbles that were on it to roll
into the pulley (pulley), and the weight of the marbles makes the other side of the pulley come up, and that hits a hot wheels car that is slightly off the edge of the ottoman/box, and the car rolls on a how wheels track, leading to the computer, and because the space bar is such a big target, the car rolls onto the space bar and makes a video play.
Our machine includes 3 simple machines so far.
Where to next?
Next lesson my group will hopefully start building our machine.
I was away for this session, so my group will have to fill me in on what they have completed.
Today I came back and my group had built a pulley out of KNEX. Here is what it looks like.
And they had also made an inclined plane/lever.
You pull the string down and then the paper tilts, creating an inclined plane, which lets the marbles roll down.
Our aim was to, make the pulley (after the marbles had rolled into it and the other side had gone up) hit a toy car and then the car would roll down the hot wheels track.
Building and editing (session 6)
Today we were playing around with the pulley. Here is some of the resalts.
So, here is our solution.
Where to next?
Me and my group are going to fix the problem, and sort out the solution.
Today in design, we tried the machine with the ping pong ball, and this is what happened.
The reason that this didn’t work was because at the end of the hot wheels track, it sloped upwards, and the ping pong ball didn’t have enough momentum to get up the slope. So that’s when we decided to tape the hot wheels track to the cardboard box, so that it would if anything, slope down. So we tried it again, and the ping pong ball hit the keyboard, but it didn’t hit do anything, meaning it didn’t have enough weight to actually hit the button, and make a letter come up on the screen.
So we tried to making the ping pong ball hit a marble, and here is what happened.
I thought that the ping pong ball didn’t hit the marble because the marble was on the side of the hot wheels track, so the ping pong ball stopped because the marble was in the way. But what really happened was that the ping pong ball didn’t have enough force to hit the marble.
To solve the problem that I thought was true, we tried two marbles, and this is what happened.
Next lesson we are going to find something else to use to hit the button, something heavier.
This session was the last session of Rube Goldberg. Last lesson, we had the problem of the ping pong ball not being heavy enough to make a letter come up on the screen.
So, my team had an idea. We decided to use a golf ball instead. It was the same shape, except heavier. It was perfect. We tried, and tried, but it just wouldn’t press the button. We were sure that the spacebar on our laptops was lighter and easier to press that most of the keys.
The problem was that the golf ball didn’t land on the target (spacebar), so we decided to use some books to guide the golf ball. We tried it again, but the ball went off sidewards, so we added some staplers on the sides. As we kept trying, one of the many attempts worked! Here is a video of it working.
After it had succeeded many times, we were told to make a video about how we think our team worked together, what we learnt, most of the attempts and why they didn’t work, what our aim was and a video of it finally working.
I really enjoyed the Rube Goldberg unit, and it has taught me how to agree, and disagree without causing an argument. Teamwork was definitely a big and important skill to have when we were discussing ideas, and I think our team succeeded in that. I learnt more about Rube Goldberg machines, and more about Rube Goldberg himself. This was one of my favourite units and I discovered lots of facts.