Gauss Beats the teacher

We have focused on a maths activity called gauss beats the teacher. It’s when a dude is really smart and the teacher hates him and the teacher gives him a maths activity to keep him quiet an the teacher walks somewhere and walks back to the dude and he’s done. The activity was adding all the numbers 1-100 and see what it equals. My strategy was to 1-9 10-18 and so on to 90-99 and then finally add the 100.  Joe and I found out a pattern it goes up 81 like 45, 126, 207 etc. And the last digit of each number goes up 1 every time 45 126 207 etc. I used heaps of strategies like guess and check, solve a simpler problem and test all possible solutions.

We made shapes and drew them we tried to make them not to complicated and we found 2 solutions to figure how much blocks there were. I did [4×4]+[3×2]+3=25 My other way was [4×3]+[3×2]+7=25. We used BID MAS. Brackets, Indices, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction. We had a extension problem to find out how many evens there were and add them up. We found that there is 50 evens and so the answer is 2500 because it is half the 1-100 challenge.  So finished that as well.   I loved this problem and hope to do it again.